Easily Share Documents Outside Your Organization
Small business owners often need to share files and photos with contractors or third parties, but EVAN continues to hear that the default solution to this everyday problem is email! We find that email is perfectly fine for correspondence and sharing single files, but it’s not nearly as reliable and fast as the cloud-based options below.
To get started with one of the following options, you just need to make sure your organization is configured to have your cloud storage system of choice integrated into your workflow and automatically storing your documents (we cover how to do this here). Once configured, here’s how to easily share files and folders with anyone outside of your organization:
In the following examples, we’ll be sharing a folder called “Portfolio” from the websites of each of these three services:
- Navigate to the folder you would like to share
- Select the blue “Share folder” link on the right-hand side
- You may directly invite people to join this folder (with or without edit permissions), or you may generate a link that is freely shareable and configurable:
Google Drive (GSuite)
- Select the folder or file you would like to share
- Click the Google share icon in the top bar:
- Click the option to “Get shareable link” and you may configure access and invite people to view from this page:
Microsoft OneDrive (Office 365)
- Navigate to the folder you’d like to share
- Select the share button in the top bar:
- Use the window below to configure permissions and how you would like to send the invitation to join the folder:
Once you share folder access through any of the above services, you remain in full control and documents you add or remove are updated in real time. If given the proper permissions to edit the folders or files, this is also a good way to collaborate on documents without worrying about revision numbers and emailing files back and forth.
Best of all, each of these services offer a desktop and mobile app that give you access to this feature, whenever and wherever.
*EVAN is not affiliated with or compensated by any of the recommended products recommended above*
EVAN is more than just a great source of technology information; we have Master Certified Professionals waiting to meet your IT needs right now.